Saturday 17 August 2013

TODAY ON MY BLOG....

I am pleased to welcome Lesley Cookman, best selling author of the Libby Sargeant Mysteries. 








First, thank you, Victoria, for inviting me to your blog. Romantic suspense was one of my first loves after Golden Age Crime Fiction, and I cut my teeth on the wonderful Mary Stewart’s books, the same genre into which at least some of yours fall.

But crime always came first. It started, I suppose with a love of Enid Blyton’s Famous Five books, followed by the Secret Seven and the Adventure series, but the Famous Five were my favourites. In fact, one of my favourite ever reviews was that all you had to do was substitute lashings of ginger beer for G and Ts, and you’d have an Enid Blyton. It wasn’t meant to be complimentary, but it was to me!

Having said that, these days my books seem to be read by people who also read Lilian Harry’s Burracombe series and Rebecca Shaw’s Turnham Malpas series, and for the same reasons. The characters’ stories are continued in each successive book, and readers invest in them. Comments we all receive are “It’s like meeting old friends.” In my books, there is usually a murder, the investigation of which gives a hook to hang the story on and a shape to the story itself.

In the most recent, Murder In The Dark, released as an ebook on August 13th, with print to follow on October 10th, I’ve included  quite a bit of Kentish history, something which interests me considerably, but which can lead off into the realms of research while ignoring the actual writing. I hope my readers will enjoy it, and enjoy meeting the characters for the twelfth time. And not long to wait after this one – the next will be out in the Spring of 2014.



Murder in the Dark is now available on Amazon



No comments:

Post a Comment